The Michigan Association for Bilingual Education (MABE) is a nonprofit organization that has been formed to encourage and promote multilingual education in the State of Michigan so that all children may participate in expanded education opportunities. The Michigan Association for Bilingual Education will enhance the success of Multilingual Education by diligent study and research. As members of MABE with an intimate understanding of the positive effects of multilingual programs, it will be our goal to promote knowledge of this field and to share this knowledge with all interested participants. MABE is a nonprofit organization whose purpose will include, but not be limited to:
* Recognizing, promoting and publicizing excellence in Multilingual Education;
* Promoting efforts to assure the provision of equal educational opportunity for all;
* Promoting the provision of services to the children, youth, and adults at all levels in both the community and educational institutions throughout the state by making Multilingual/Multicultural Education an integral part of the school curricula;
* Working toward the recognition by the legislative body, the State Board of Education and the local school districts, of the linguistic and cultural needs of bilingual speakers;
* Promoting the organization of workshops and conferences dealing with the needs of multilingual education;
* Coordination and promoting the development of professional competence and professional standards in Multilingual Education; and
* To encourage the excellence of Multilingual Education by promoting research and other activities.